Choice of local anesthetic in obstetric anesthesiology: literature review and demonstration of our own experience
Abstract. Regional anesthesia is widely used in obstetric practice, and in many cases is the method of choice. It includes neuroaxial anesthesia (spinal, epidural, combined spinalepidural, epidural with dura mater puncture), regional blocks (eg, TAP block, QL block, ESP block, pudendal block, etc.), as well as local infiltration anesthesia, which is used for both anesthesia and postoperative analgesia. The correct choice of local anesthetic, its dose and concentration is of fundamental importance in obstetric anesthesiology, as it is necessary to ensure the highest quality blockade with minimal side effects on mother and fetus.
Key words: anesthesia, anaesthetization, childbirth, anesthetic.
Authors: Grizhimalskiy E.V., Garga A.I. Maternity hospital “Leleka”, Kyiv
- Hiroyuki S, Eichi I. General anaesthesia for elective cesarean section in resource-limited settings. J World Fed Soc Anaesth. 2019 Sept; 34:14.
- Sng BL, Sia ATH. Maintenance of epidural labour analgesia: The old, the new and the future. Best Practice & Research Clinical Anaesthesiology [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2017 Mar; 31(1):15–22. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpa.2017.01.002
- Paseiro L, Fernandez A, Au K. The Labour Epidural: Ambulatory Neuraxial Analgesia. WFSA Anaesthesia Tutorial of the Week.
- Camorcia M, Capogna G, Lyons G, Columb M. Epidural test dose with levobupivacaine and ropivacaine: determination of ED 50 motor block after spinal administration. British Journal of Anaesthesia [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2004 Jun; 92(6):850–3. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeh155
- Gupta S, Partani S. Neuraxial techniques of labour analgesia. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia [Internet]. Medknow; 2018; 62(9):658. Available from: https://doi.org/10.4103/ija.ija_445_18
- Graf BM, Abraham I, Eberbach N, Kunst G, Stowe DF, Martin Differences in Cardiotoxicity of Bupivacaine and Ropivacaine Are the Result of Physicochemical and Stereoselective Properties. Anesthesiology [Internet]. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health); 2002 Jun 1; 96(6):1427–34. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542–200206000–00023
- Lee HL, Lo LM, Chou CC, Chuah EC. Comparison between 08 % ropivacaine and 0.06 % levobupivacaine for epidural analgesia during nulliparous labor: a retrospective study in a single center. Chang Gung Med J. 2011 May 1;34(3):286–92.
- Malhotra R, Johnstone C, Halpern S, Hunter J, Banerjee A. Duration of motor block with intrathecal ropivacaine versus bupivacaine for caesarean section: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2016 Aug;27:9–16. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2016.03.004
- Lam DTC, Ngan Kee WD, Khaw KS. Extension of epidural blockade in labour for emergency Caesarean section using 2 % lidocaine with epinephrine and fentanyl, with or without alkalinisation. Anaesthesia [Internet]. Wiley; 2001 Aug;56(8):777–98. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365–2044.2001.02058–4.x
- Nixon H, Leffert L. Anesthesia for cesarean delivery. Available at: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/anesthesia-for-cesar-ean-delivery
- Hillyard SG, Bate TE, Corcoran TB, Paech MJ, O’Sullivan G. Extending epidural analgesia for emergency Caesarean section: a meta-analysis. British Journal of Anaesthesia [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2011 Nov;107(5):668–78. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aer300
- Benhamou D, Lucas DN. Extending epidural anaesthesia for urgent (code-red or Category 1) caesarean section: Factors of success. Anaesthesia Critical Care & Pain Medicine [In- ternet]. Elsevier BV; 2019 Dec;38(6):597–8. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.accpm.2019.10.001
- Order of the Minister of Health of Ukraine № 977 of 27.12.2011 “Clinical protocol on obstetric care “Cesarean section”.
- Sviggum HP, Arendt KW, Jacob AK, Niesen AD, Johnson RL, Schroeder DR, et al. Intrathecal Hydromorphone and Morphine for Postcesarean Delivery Analgesia. Anesthesia & Analgesia [Internet]. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health); 2016 Sep;123(3):690–7. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000001229
- Dualé C, Frey C, Bolandard F, Barrière A, Schoeffler P. Epidural versus intrathecal morphine for postoperative analgesia after Caesarean section. British Journal of Anaesthesia [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2003 Nov;91(5):690–4. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeg249
- Practice Guidelines for the Prevention, Detection, and Management of Respiratory Depression Associated with Neuraxial Opioid Administration. Anesthesiology [Internet]. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health); 2016 Mar 1; 124(3):535–52. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1097/aln.0000000000000975
- Mitchell KD, Smith CT, Mechling C, Wessel CB, Orebaugh S, Lim G. A review of peripheral nerve blocks for cesarean delivery analgesia. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine [Internet]. BMJ; 2019 Oct 25; 45(1):52–62. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1136/rapm-2019–100752
- Boules ML, Goda AS, Abdelhady MA, Abu El-Nour Abd El-Azeem SA, Hamed MA. Comparison of Analgesic Effect Between Erector Spinae Plane Block and Transversus Abdominis Plane Block After Elective Cesarean Section: A Prospective Randomized Single-Blind Controlled Study. Journal of Pain Research [Internet]. Informa UK Limited; 2020 May;Volume 13:1073–80. Available from: https://doi.org/10.2147/jpr.s253343
- Butterworth John. Clinical Pharmacology of Local Anesthetics. Available at: https://www.nysora.com/foundations-of-re-gional-anesthesia/pharmacology/clinical-pharmacology-lo- cal-anesthetics/
- Rosenberg P, Veering B, Urmey W. Maximum recommended doses of local anesthetics: A multifactorial concept. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine [Internet]. BMJ; 2004 Dec; 29(6):564–75. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rapm.2004.08.003
- Griffiths JD, Le NV, Grant S, Bjorksten A, Hebbard P, Royse Symptomatic local anaesthetic toxicity and plasma ropivacaine concentrations after transversus abdominis plane block for Caesarean section. British Journal of Anaesthesia [Internet]. Elsevier BV; 2013 Jun; 110(6):996–1000. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aet015